Learning English in Ireland – Student’s Book (2005) Click for updates
This book has been revised and is now “Learning English in Ireland, B1-Intermediate” 2018
Downloadable audios and Teacher’s Book still available for this 2005 version.
- Product Digital Download CD: Yes
- Product Downloadable Samples: Yes
Read fun and interesting ways to learn English AND Irish culture.
Ireland is renowned for its quality English language teaching.Ireland is also famous for its beauty and rich culture. The whole world turns green for our National celebration of St Patrick’s Day! Read and learn about our music, traditions, famous people, attractions and legends.
Learn about some of the fun activities you can see and do in Ireland.
Ireland is full of natural beauty providing fun things to do and see. Learn about some of the main attractions all over Ireland including Trinity College, the oldest university in Europe and keepers of the original famous Book of Kells; Blarney Castle in Cork that boasts having a stone that has magical powers of eternal eloquence; the breathtaking Cliffs of Moher halting crashing waves from the Atlantic Ocean; the most famous brewery in the world – Guinness and many more unique activities you cannot do or see anywhere else.
Do some quizzes to test your knowledge of Ireland.
Ireland is world famous. How much do you know about our magical country? Test your knowledge here and learn even more amazing things about our unique country.
Discover some of the myths and legends of this magical land.
Every county and city in Ireland has stories to tell about our unique and famous legends and myths. To this very day all swans in Ireland are protected.Learn why in the legend of the “Children of Lir”. Read, too, about our magical eternal island under the ocean. If you do not believe in magic, these beautiful stories might change your mind.
Ireland is one of the best English speaking countries in the world!
“Hiberno” English (the pronunciation of English spoken in Ireland) is one of the best pronunciations of the English language.
Listen to this example of the English Language from the Audio CD that accompanies this book
You will also learn about yourself!
- What type of learner are you? (Page 1.3)
Ireland and Irish Culture:
- A few Irish words and how to pronounce them (Unit 1)
- Ireland, the country (Unit 2)
- Ireland, the people (Unit 3)
- Shopping and typical Irish products (Unit 4)
- The famous Waterford Crystal (Unit 5)
- Money and money expressions (Unit 6)
- Typical Irish Food (Unit 7)
- Famous Irish Drinks (Unit 8 )
- Entertainment – Cinema, Theatre and Pubs (Unit 9)
- Sports and Activities (Unit 10)
- The Ten Top Attractions in Ireland (Unit 11)
- Castles and Ghosts (Unit 12)
- Travel and Communication in Ireland (Unit 13)
- Famous Poets and Writers (Unit 14)
- The Book of Kells (Unit 15)
- Irish Musical Instruments and Dancing (Unit 16)
- Famous Irish Singers and Bands (Unit 17)
- The Claddagh Ring (Unit 18)
- The legend of “Oisin in Tir na nOg” (Unit 19)
- The legend of “The Children of Lir” (Unit 20)
A one-paged overview of the sounds that are used in English showing ‘voiced’ and ‘unvoiced’ sounds, stress and the correct pronunciation of the English alphabet.
VERY concise and informative pages on English Grammar:
• Active and Passive – Clear explanation plus exercises (page 22.4)
• Conditionals – Finally discover an easy way to learn about conditionals. Included is an easy to read guide showing an overview of the four types of conditions and clear explanations and samples of this very confusing section of grammar. Exercises included. (Pages 22.2 and 22.3)
• Participles – Present and Past forms plus exercises. (Page 22.3)
• Questions – How to form questions with the auxiliary ‘Do’ and questions words – where, what, which, who, when, why and how – with FULL explanations and samples of how to use them. (Page 22.4)
• Question Tags – These are used quite a lot in English. Learn how to use them with confidence through samples and exercises. (Page 22.4)
• Say and Tell – Learn a VERY easy way to remember the difference between these two very confusing verbs. (Page 22.6)
• Spelling – English spelling can be difficult as English is not a phonetic language (it is not spelt how it is pronounced). Learn/revise some basic spelling rules to help you with exercises to help you and a list of words that are often spelled incorrectly. (Pages 22.4 – 22.5)
• Verbs – Auxiliary (and Modal) – Learn the different types with full explanations, clear samples and exercises to help you how to use each of these VERY IMPORTANT VERBS. (Pages 22.9 – 22.10)
• Verbs – Irregular – Included is a quick reference to the most commonly used irregular verbs with a FULL PRONUNCIATION GUIDE. (pages 22.7 – 22.8)
• Verbs – Phrasal – These are very confusing as they are only used in English. A one-paged explanation and another one paged summary of how they are formed and used will help you. (pages 22.17 and 22.18)
• Verbs – Tenses – This very important section gives you clear explanations of the terminology of tenses, excellent samples and explanations plus the form for EACH one, followed by examples for you to practise and to help you to learn how to use each one. (Pages 22.11 – 22.16)
• Verbs – Transitive and Intransitive – What they are and how to use them. (Page 22.6)
• ANSWERS – (the answers to all the above exercises are on Pages 23.1 and 23.2).
FREE Audio CD
PACKED with easy to find listening exercises to accompany the workbook. Listen to information, stories, some accents from English speaking tourists visiting Ireland, tradition Irish songs and a true ghost story.
very good interactive tasks and exercises
“This book is long overdue, obviously, and it deals very comprehensively with a wide range of topics, like culture, arts and mythology. It’s ideal for students coming here for either a short time or a long time, as it culturally orientates them into our ways.It’s very user friendly, and can be adapted to suit all levels.There are very good interactive tasks and exercises, and the book comes with a CD that the student can keep and take home afterwards with a range of Irish accents on it.”
So why buy this book?
- There are plenty of course books that teach English. This is the ONLY course book that teaches English AND Irish culture.
- No other course book provides a free audio CD. Some other publishers sell their CD separately and can cost at least the same price as the book.
- You get a full satisfaction money back guarantee.